background

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Help is On the Way

"Help is on the way," the evaluated assured me. Yesterday morning we had someone come to evaluate Asa's behavior. I was afraid he would be a perfect angel while she was at our house, but thankfully he acted normal, well, Asa's normal. She got to see his head banging, his wild temper tantrums, and his random screaming. She also witnessed the constant motion. After asking me a few questions she asked if I had ever heard of sensory disorders. I said that I had done a little research after talking with a few moms about Asa's behavior.

The evaluator believes Asa has a sensory disorder which is basically a way of saying that his nervous system is not processing sensory information the way it should. Thus, his need for constant motion, constant banging, very loud screaming, etc. She is going to recommend that we see an occupational therapist once a week to help Asa regulate and calm down. I am not exactly sure all the therapy that is going to be involved, but I have been assured that it really helps. The evaluator said that with the occupational therapy we should start to see him become less frustrated, and thus we will be less frustrated. There is hope!

Asa also scored below normal in a few other categories of development, especially communication. However, I believe that this is a result of his inability to sit still and pay attention to what others are saying, etc. He is in his own little world most of the time and does not really focus on what anyone is doing around him. Once we get some of the sensory issues regulated, his communication should come right along.

Some time next week we will probably be talking with the intake coordinator from First Steps to figure out a plan for Asa. I am really looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds just like Jude! I just read The Out-of-Sync Child and it was really helpful in understanding SPD.

    ReplyDelete