background

Monday, April 11, 2011

Knock, Knock

So, this post is going to be one of those things that is really only funny if you know Aiden, and maybe not even then...
On Saturday we were eating lunch and the boys started telling "knock knock" jokes, only their knock knock jokes never make any sense. For example, we will hear: "Knock Knock." Who's there? "Table." Table who? "The table is brown." Mostly it is Noah coming up with the random jokes, laughing hysterically, and then Aiden repeats whatever Noah says, laughing hysterically. Then Kenneth and I laugh at how non-sensical it is. Anyway, on Saturday, Aiden made up his very own joke.
"Knock Knock."
"Who's there?"
"Horsie."
"Horsie who?"
"Secretariat!" He said it in the funniest little voice too.
We started cracking up! You have no idea how thankful Kenneth and I were that he actually knows Secretariat is a horse! And that he made up his own joke that he thought was sooo funny. It really made me think back to about 10 months ago when he could not even speak English. In those very trying first couple of months I never imagined that I would be hearing him tell jokes in English and for those jokes to make a half a bit of sense. God has brought him a long way! And me too.
When we first brought Aiden home I was convinced God was out to get me. (Not really, but it was rough). Aiden was so destructive, so defiant, so opposite of me in every way I could think of. He and Noah fought ALL the time. I struggled to get through the day with him. I blamed myself for how it seemed I messed up Noah. I remember asking God if there would ever be a day when I just loved Aiden so very very much without forcing myself.
Wow, what a blessing that those first months are a blur now. I love that boy so much! He is a joy (Well, about 98% of the time. haha) Sometimes I just look at him and get tears in my eyes thanking God that he was brought to us. I cannot imagine my life without him. I am thankful beyond words that God, and Aiden's biological mother, allowed him to be my son. I have delighted in watching him grow and become secure in our family. He seems so happy and carefree now. The transformation in just under a year has been nothing short of God's miraculous grace and power at work! What a sight to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment